|Park Guell pictures Barcelona|
|Written by pictures|
Pictures Park Guell Barcelona
Buy tickets online for Park Guell Barcelona
One of Barcelona's most famous attractions is Parc Guell by Catalan and Spanish architect Antoni Gaudi.
Antoni Gaudi's Park Guell is on El Carmel hill in the Gràcia district of Barcelona. Park Guell started as a project to create a residential garden city and finally became a public park in 1922. Park Guell today is part of the UNESCO World Heritage "Works of Antoni Gaudí."
Parc Guell is an public park designed by Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí. It is on the Carmel hill in the upper part of the Gracia district of Barcelona. The ticket price to the monumental area of Park Guell is €7 if you buy a ticket in advance, or €8 at the park Guell entrance. Buy skip-the-line tickets to Park Guell. It's a good idea to book in advance because only 800 visitors an hour are allowed in the park. Park Guell tickets can be bought up to three months before the visit. Maximum number of 9 tickets per person. Local residents have free access to the park.
How to get to Park Guell
Gaudi guided bus tours
Today Parc Guell is one of Barcelona's top tourist attractions. The original idea of Park Guell was not to make a park or a tourist attraction. It was to create a private residential garden city for wealthy Barcelona residents, who could live in Park Guell on the hill El Carmel far from the smoke and noise of Barcelona's city centre and with lovely city views. The idea did not work, perhaps due to the remote location, or to the strange ideas and designs that Gaudi created.
At the time the park was created - around 1900 - there were many factories in Barcelona - and Barcelona's air was quite polluted. Guell bought the land on Carmel hill to build a housing project where rich residents could escape the dirty air and noise of the city. There was already had a manor house on the site of Park Guell - called Larrard House or Muntaner de Dalt House - and the land was close to a residential neighbourhood of houses called "La Salut," which means "health." So the idea of a garden city with views seemed solid. Park Guell was built in the years from 1900 to 1914 on a plot of land that measures 17.18 ha (0.1718 km²) in total
The idea for a private housing development site came from the wealthy Catalan industrialist Count Eusebi Güell i Bacigalupi, who was inspired to create Park Guell after seeing similar housing estates in England. He asked his friend modernist architect Gaudi to design the infrastructure for a housing estate with 60 plots of land for houses on the land on Carmel hill, that he bought in 1899. The estate was called Can Muntaner de Dalt at the time. The location was a rocky hill side on mount Carmel called Muntanya Pelada - Bare Mountain. The idea was that people would buy plots of land and build their own houses.
So Park Guell started as a property business venture and not as a park at all. But housing plan was not a success. There was no interest from buyers at all. Only one plot of land was ever sold and only two new houses were built in Park Guell, bringing the number of houses in the park to three. None of the three houses were designed by Gaudi - only the part infrastructure was by Gaudi.
Count Guell himself moved into the Larrard manor house in Park Guell and the Guell family lived there for many years. Count Eusebi Guell died in his house in Park Güell in 1918. In 1923 the Güell family donated the land to the city and Park Güell was became the public park that we can enjoy today. It is fun to walk around and see how this iconic park started as a housing site with roads, viaducts and terraces.
The vast central plaza was originally intended as the theatre area for all the residents of the garden city to gather and watch theatre performances. It was called the Greek theatre and Gaudi even designed seating that could be erected for shows, that spectators could enjoy performances with views of the city and the sea in the background. The main plaza is 79 metres long and 36 metres wide.
The most famous feature of Parc Guell is the the famous mythical curving serpentine bench snaking its way around the perimeter of the main plaza. This is considered one of Gaudi's most original and famous works.
The unique curved shape of the serpentine bench lets the people sitting on it talk privately and easily. The serpentine bench in Park Guell is decorated in a technique using broken shards of tiles and pottery to make a colourful mosaic. This is called "trencadis" in Catalan, or also called "pique assiette."
Gaudi and his assistent architect Josep Maria Jujol were pioneers in the trencadis technique. In Park Guell, Jujol created abstract waves and circles of ceramic mosaics interspersed with traditional nature objects like flowers, shells and stars for this magnificent decoration.
Half of the Park Guell plaza is built on the solid ground of the mountain. The outer part is built on top of the Greek doric columns of the Sala Hipóstila below. The Sala Hipóstila was intended to be the market place.
The Sala Hipóstila was originally intended to be the market place. It is designed to be a Greek forest of columns and is called the Doric colonnade.
There are 86 classical columns which are 6 meters high and 1.3 meters wide.
The amazing trencadis on the serpentine bench at Park Guell
It is said, that when they were decorating the curved bench, the workers would use bits of broken tile and glass, that they had found on their way to work at Park Guell. The architecht Jupol even smashed up some of this own dinner service to find the right pieces. And he raided the kitchen for crockery from the other resident of Parc Guell at the time, who was a lawyer named Martín Trías Domènech.
Gaudi designed the gate house and administration building in a fairytale gingerbread house style.
Gaudí's famous mosaic salamander lizard, called "el drac" the dragon. It guards the fountain at the main entrance to Park Guell on Carrer Olot
The eternal quest for a funny holiday photo never stops. Now park attendants guard El Drac. Tips on how to be a good tourist!
The original plan to sell houses on the garden city development of Parc Guell failed due to lack of interest. Only two houses, apart from the original manor house already on the grounds, which Guell himself moved into - and which is now a public school - were ever built in Park Guell, so the total number of houses was three. None of these houses were designed by Gaudi, although he did make some minor changes to the original manor house. The modernist house below was built on two of the original plots on higher ground by an architect called J. Batllevell. This house was for Guell's lawyer Martín Trías Domènech who became the third resident of Parc Guell.
The house below, called la Torre Rosa, was built as a model home in 1904 by Francesc Berenguer for the original property development. When no-one was interested in buying it, Guell suggested that Anton Gaudi buy it and move in with his father. Gaudi moved in with his father and niece in 1906. His father died the year they moved in and his niece died in 1912. Gaudi lived in the house from 1906 until 1925. At the very end of his life he moved into his studio at the Sagrada Famila church which he designed and was building on until his death in 1926. Today the Torre Rosa house is the Gaudi house-museum in Barcelona where you can see Guadi's bedroom and a unique collection of furniture designed by Gaudi.
Hotels in Barcelona
Hotels near Fira Exhibition
Hotels near Camp Nou
Hotels near Cruise Ships
Short Stay Apartments
Useful visitor information
How to get to Barcelona airport
Cruise Ship Terminals
Things to do
Top 10 attractions Barcelona
Photos of Barcelona
Things to do in Barcelona
Book tours and tickets
Weather in Barcelona
5 day forecast Barcelona
Top Festivals and events
Barcelona Events 2016
Christmas in Barcelona
New Years Eve 2016
MWC 2016 Barcelona
Sant Jordi's Day
Barcelona Half Marathon
Festa de Gracia
La Merce Festival
FC Barcelona calendar